We believe in the free flow of information and therefore publish under a Creative Commons – Attribution/NonCommercial/No derivatives licence. This means you can republish our articles online or in print for free, provided you follow these guidelines:
Republishing guidelines, for print and online
- You can’t edit our material, except to reflect relative changes in time, location, and editorial style. If you do wish to make material edits, you will need to run them by the author for approval prior to publication. Authors can be contacted by the blue Contact button that accompanies their author profile.
- You have to credit authors, ideally in the byline.
- You have to credit The Philanthropist Journal and include a link back to either our home page or the article URL . Our preference is a credit at the top of the article.
- You can’t sell our material separately, but it’s OK to put our articles on pages with ads.
- You have to confirm you’re licensed to republish images in our articles. Some sources, such as those from commercial providers, don’t allow their images to be republished without permission or payment.
- You can’t systematically republish all of our articles, nor frame the content of our site.
- Extracts: You can run the first few lines or paragraphs of the article and then say, “Read the full article on The Philanthropist Journal” with a link back to the article.
- Quotes: You can quote authors provided you include a link back to the article URL.
- Translations: These are technically a derivative under our creative commons license and so require author approval. Many authors will give approval in good faith. Contact us and we will contact the author.
- Edits: If you wish to make material edits, you will need to run them by the author for approval prior to publication. Contact us and we will contact the author.
- Signed consent/copyright release forms: These are not required, providing you are following these guidelines.
- Print: Articles can be published in print under these same rules, with the exception that you do not need to include links. We would appreciate it if you would send an image of the republished article to us so that we can share it with the author.
- Podcast and video: These are also covered by Creative Commons, and the same attribution requirements apply.